Welcome to the Me and Matt Series!!

I have decided to create a blog which I will use to keep friends and family up to date with the current events occuring in the lives of Ruth and Matt. I will post things of importance, announcements, etc... so that those who read can share in our experiences and be kept in the loop.I will also post photographs and pictures relevent to our lives.

Feel free to subscribe to the blog so that we can keep you updated on all the current events!

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Like Father and Mother, Like Daughter.

To put it in Matt's words, we have a non-conformist child. Yep, yesterday was my 36 week OB apointment and surprise surprise our daughter is breech. At my last apointment 4 weeks ago, she was in a wonderful head down position and the lady told me that if she turned, I'd know about it. A few days later I started to feel a foot in my side and our daughter decided she liked that position and stayed in it. So for 3 and a half weeks I assumed she was in a head down, foot in my side position that she had found was particularly comfortable... in actual fact it's a head up, foot in my side position that she has found is particularly comfortable.

The doctors have given us two options... the first is a scheduled C-section. I would prefer not to go that route if at all possible... The second is to try and turn the baby manually at 37 weeks. This proceedure has a 50% success rate, is quite painful and has a few "side note" complications that could arise. Some of the things that could happen are:

-the baby could turn and everything would go as planned
-the baby could not turn and I would have to have a scheduled C-section anyway
-the baby could turn and the proceedure could cause me to go into labour, in which case I'd just have the baby normaly
-the baby could not turn and I'd go into labour and have an emergency C-section
-the baby could get distressed and I'd have an emergency C-section
-the placenta could come away from the uterus wall causing danger for both myself and the baby, resulting in an emergency C-section
-the placenta could rupture or get damaged resulting in an emergency C-section

There are a few others but I wasn't paying as close attention as I needed to so I've already forgotten them.

Aparently our baby being breech is more of a complication than I would have expected. I think we've pretty much decided to give the baby turning a try... the worst thing that could happen is that I'd have a C-section, which I'd have to have any way. The doctor will try to turn her next tuesday, 2 days before Matthew's scheduled eye surgery. Dispite the offered epidural for the pain, I'm quite nervous and would appreciate any prayers offered on our behalf.

A note to both our dear mothers to whom we did the exact same thing; Sorry.

1 comment:

Our Loved-up Family said...

I had to have a c-section at 37 weeeks because baby was distressed and head was too big (he knows he gorgeous!), there are definate pro's to it, I wouldn't choose that way, but am definitely glad it's a way to get the baby safely here. Keep us posted!